For most people, it can be easy to neglect your roof shingles. Out of sight, out of mind, right? But if you do happen to notice that your roof shingles are in need of some TLC, you may be considering going over them with a coat of paint. However, it can be difficult to paint roof shingles. Keep reading to learn some tips and tricks to get it done, as well as the pros and cons of painting your roof.
Can You Paint Asphalt Shingles?
You can absolutely paint roof shingles! However, many professionals recommend against it; consequently, you need to think about what exactly you want to accomplish while taking the current state of your roof into account.
Is Roof Painting a Good Idea?
There are lots of reasons that someone might consider painting their shingle roof, but is it a good idea? We’ve done the research for you and fleshed out the pros and cons of painting your roof:
- Sometimes, the best reason for making a change to your home is purely aesthetic. If you’ve noticed that the shingles on your roof are looking a bit dingy or just feel lacking, paint can be a great way to revamp the look of your home. This is especially true if you are already thinking about repainting the rest of your home’s exterior!
Extending Roof Life
- Just like how painting a fence can extend its lifespan by protecting it from the elements, the same is true for shingles if done correctly. Should you decide to paint your shingle roof, you’ll need to make sure that you choose the right type of paint; a high-quality 100% acrylic latex in a flat finish is the only way to go!
- Painting over the wear and tear of your asphalt shingles is far more affordable than completely replacing the roof surfaces. If your main reason for wanting to paint is to change the color of your roof, then painting is the way to go. Painting may also help improve energy efficiency, saving money in the long run as well as the short term. Certain paints work by reflecting heat away from the roof, lessening the surface temperature and keeping the interior cooler.
- If you do paint your roof, you should be aware of the regular maintenance that will be required to keep up the look. This is especially true if the job was done haphazardly the first time. Be prepared to examine your roof at least once a year and potentially have to go through the process all over again. However, the speed that your paint job deteriorates is solely dependent on the type of climate you live in. Someone living in an area with lots of rain or intense sunshine may need to do more work than someone living in a more neutral climate.
- We’ve mentioned that paint can increase your roof’s lifespan by protecting it from the elements, but it may also cause damage if you choose the wrong paint. You’ll need to look for an acrylic latex, water-based paint formulated especially for roofs. This type of paint allows moisture to escape from the shingles, discouraging the growth of mildew and algae, as well as protecting your home from roof leaks.
Let the Pros Paint Your Roof
If you are thinking about starting to paint roof shingles but dread the hard work and maintenance involved, look no further than Pro Painters. Our experienced experts use only high-quality materials and pro painting techniques to ensure that you get the most out of your shingle roof. To assure customer satisfaction, we offer a five-year guarantee on all painting jobs and only accept payments after you’re sure that the job was done right the first time. To learn more about our painting, sign installation, or custom woodworking services, contact us today. We’ll get you a free quote so you can get your roof looking like new.